Release of patient information generally requires a signed written authorization by the patient that meets the Privacy requirements of State and Federal regulations. Copies of medical records are available upon written request with a valid HIPAA authorization. As established by the State of Alabama, prepayment for copies of records is required. Patient requests for medical record copies are generally completed within 10-15 days after a written request and a valid HIPAA patient authorization is received.
Please mail or submit in person the authorization to:
Health Information Management
Attn: Release of Information
P.O. Box 850429
Mobile, AL 36685
If the request is submitted in person, picture identification is required.
Section 12-21-6.1 Alabama Code Reproduction
The reasonable costs of reproducing copies of written or typed documents, or reports shall not be more than:
- One dollar ($1) for each page of the first 25 pages
- Not more than 50 cents ($.50) for each page in excess of 25 pages
- A search fee of five dollars ($5)
- If the medical records are mailed to the person making the request, reasonable costs shall include the actual costs of mailing the medical records
- A person may charge in addition to the above fees, other special medical records, stat request or certification fees.
Birth Certificates and Death Certificates
Birth Certificate information is collected by a Providence Hospital Birth Certificate Representative following delivery and prior to discharge. This information is submitted to the Alabama State Department of Health. It will be on file at the Board of Health five days after birth. You may obtain a copy of a birth certificate from the Alabama State Department of Health by completing the appropriate application. The State fee for a birth record is $15.00; which includes the cost of one certified copy. For each additional copy of the same record ordered at the same time, the fee is $6.00.
The State of Alabama requires hospitals to initiate the death certificate and submit to the appropriate physician to sign and add the cause of death. The physician’s office then mails to the appropriate funeral home. FUNERAL HOMES are responsible for submitting the certificate to the State and can assist you in obtaining certified copies.
There are several ways to obtain a Birth or Death Certificate copy:
- By Mail: An application form entitled “Application for Vital Event that occurred in Alabama”, will be supplied to the patient prior to discharge/or when applicable. Or you can click here for the application. You may complete this form and forward with the appropriate fee to Alabama Department of Public Health, Center for Health Statistics, P.O. Box 5625, Montgomery, AL 36103-5625. You should receive the requested information within two weeks.
- In Person: You may take the appropriate fee to your local County Health Department. The Mobile office is located at 251 Bayou Street. The telephone number is 251-690-8150. Most birth or death certificates can be issued while you wait. ·
- By Telephone: Call 334-206-5418 and follow the instructions. Telephone requests are expedited and extra fee is associated with this service and a major credit card is necessary.
- By Internet: Log on to www.adph.org, choose Programs and Services, Certificate – Vital Records, then Birth Certificates or Death Certificates. A major credit card is necessary. Internet requests are expedited and an extra fee is associated with this service.