Mindful Eating from ReNew You
Cut your calories and sugar in half and fat content by 75 percent with this mindful eating appetizer recipe.
Spinach Artichoke Dip
Makes 5 cups
- 2 (14 oz) cans artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 (10 oz) package frozen spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 (8 oz) block 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened and cut in 1/2" cubes
- 1 (8 oz) block fat-free cream cheese, softened and cut in 1/2" cubes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced (optional garnish)
SLOW COOKER METHOD: Coat the slow cooker with cooking spray. Add all ingredients except the red bell pepper. Stir to combine, cover and cook until heated through. 1-1/2 to 2 hours on high, 3 to 4 hours on low.
OVEN METHOD: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Set aside half of mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. In a large bowl, stir together all remaining ingredients except the red bell pepper. Spoon mixture into greased or sprayed 1-1/2 to 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle top with remaining cheeses. Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and golden.
Great served with raw veggies, such as red bell peppers.
Nutrition Comparison for 1/4 cup
|Lighter Artichoke Dip
||(Traditional) Spinach Artichoke Dip
|Calories||72 g||180 g|
|Fat||2.9 g||16 g|
|Protein||5.4 g||6 g|
|Carbs||6.4 g||4 g|
|Sugar||1 g||2 g|
|Sodium||245 mg||360 mg|
|Fiber||1.9 g||0 g|
Learn More About the Ascension Renew You Weight Management Program
The primary office is located at
Ascension SE Wisconsin Hospital – Elmbrook
19333 W. North Ave., Suite 304
Brookfield, WI 53045
A satellite office is located at
Ascension SE Wisconsin – Franklin Campus
9969 S. 27th St.
2nd Floor of Medical Office Building
Franklin, WI 53132