Patient Assessment Safety form
How do I get ready for an MRI?
- Follow any directions you are given for not eating or drinking before the test.
- Ask your provider if you should stop taking any medicine before the test.
- Follow your normal daily routine unless your provider tells you otherwise.
- You'll be asked to remove your watch, jewelry, hearing aids, credit cards, pens, pocket knives, eyeglasses, and other metal objects.
- You may be asked to remove your makeup. Makeup may contain some metal.
- Most MRI tests take 30 to 60 minutes. Depending on the type of MRI you are having, the test may take longer. Give yourself extra time to check in.