Your Pre-surgery appointment at the POMC
In preparation for a joint or spine surgery, the Ascension Saint Thomas Pre-operative Medicine Clinic provides one location for testing.
Pre-op Medicine Clinic
The Saint Thomas Health Pre-Operative Medicine Clinic (POMC) is the next step, after the surgeon visit, to providing a comprehensive experience for the spine surgery or joint replacement surgery patient.
- Saint Thomas Midtown Hospital – North Tower
- Phone: (615) 284-7662
- Saint Thomas Hospital for Specialty Surgery – North Tower
- Phone: (615) 341-7529
- Saint Thomas West Hospital - 5th Floor
- Phone: (615) 222-6737
The Clinics are staffed with Internists, Nursing personnel, and Nurse Navigators/Educators. Here, you are introduced to the Saint Thomas Health system and processes beginning with meeting our nurse navigators. The navigators will be your guide to your procedure, available via phone, email or in person.
POMC visits focus on:
- Medical evaluation
- Health history
- Lab work
- Anesthesia evaluation
- Surgical clearance
Items to Bring to the Pre-Op Appointment
- Complete medical questionnaire
- EKG within six (6) months
- Labs within one (1) month
- Cardiac clearance letter
- Cardiac testing within last five (5) years, including stress, echo, heart cath
- Pacemaker/Stent Cards
- Accurate list of medications and supplements or bring all medications
Day of Appointment
- Arrive at least 30 minutes prior to your appointment time
- Eat and drink as usual before your appointment
- Take medications and supplements as usual
Required at Your Appointment
- Urine sample
- Lab work
You will be given pre-op instructions, including bathing soap.
Upon completion of your POMC visit, you should feel confident and at ease about your upcoming surgical experience.