Ascension Michigan Breastfeeding Support
Ascension St. John hospital in Detroit, Michigan provides breastfeeding services to help support you and your baby’s health and wellness.
Ascension St. John Hospital Breastfeeding Support
At Ascension St. John hospital, our care teams are committed to providing you and your baby with the services and resources you’ll need to understand breastfeeding and the many benefits it provides to both of you. By considering breastfeeding, you are giving your baby a healthy start. Breast milk is full of good nutrition and special infection fighters to help your baby stay strong and healthy. From inpatient lactation help to our breastfeeding support group, our outpatient breastfeeding clinic provides helpful hints and tools to make breastfeeding a comfortable and rewarding experience.
To learn more or to schedule your appointment, please call our Outpatient Breastfeeding Clinic at 313-343-3146.
We provide a variety of services to teach you all about the process and benefits of breastfeeding.
This class, taught by a Board-Certified Lactation Consultant, will give you valuable information that will help you and your baby get breastfeeding off to a good start. Encouraged for all first-time breastfeeding moms and dads too.
For more information on breastfeeding classes and registration, click here.
Our nurses are here to help you find breastfeeding support while you are in the hospital. If you are experiencing any difficulties with breastfeeding, please be sure to ask your nurse to schedule a consultation with one of our lactation doctors.
Ascension St. John Outpatient Breastfeeding Clinic
We provide an outpatient breastfeeding clinic to address the needs of you and your baby. Mothers can self-refer or be referred by their doctor. The clinic provides support to mothers and infants who are experiencing breastfeeding difficulties such as:
- Cleft palate
- Down syndrome
- Insufficient milk supply
- Painful breastfeeding
- Poor latch
- Poor weight gain
- Prematurity, and more
The Nurturing Nook
Our full-service breastfeeding store is conveniently located on the Ascension St. John hospital campus in Detroit, Michigan. The store is open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. For any questions, please call 313-343-3146.
Ascension St. John Mother Nurture Club
The Ascension St. John Mother Nurture Club is a breastfeeding support group. You are invited to join us for an afternoon of support and sharing. Bring your baby and your breastfeeding questions and concerns. Or just come to hang out with other breastfeeding moms. Groups meet weekly and cover a variety of interesting topics, including:
- Making your own baby food, and more
For assistance with transportation, please call 313-343-6838.
Help with Breastfeeding
- Before your baby is born: Ascension St. John hospital provides breastfeeding classes. Our nurses work in select OB Clinics, providing advice and information to help you prepare for you baby. To sign up for one of our classes, please call 866-501-3627.
- After the baby is born: While you and your baby are still at the hospital, our nurses can help you with breastfeeding, making sure you feel comfortable and confident once you are back home.
- If your baby goes to the Ascension St. John Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU): Our nurses are available 5 days a week. We are committed to you and your baby and will help provide all of the resources you’ll need to care for your new family.
- If problems arise: For any unforeseen problems, please call the Ascension St. John Outpatient Breastfeeding Clinic at 313-343-3146. This visit is covered by most insurances.
- If you need supplies: The Nurturing Nook is a full-service breastfeeding store located in the birthing center on the Ascension St. John hospital campus in Detroit, Michigan. For any questions, please call 313-343-3146.
- Maternal nutrition and breastfeeding: There is no special diet a breastfeeding mother must follow. A certified lactation consultant (IBCLC), or a dietitian who specializes in perinatal nutrition can give you suggestions to help keep you and your baby healthy while breastfeeding.
Facts About Breastfeeding
- Babies who breastfeed are healthier. They have fewer ear infections and allergies. They have fewer problems with gas and colic.
- As they get older, children who are breastfed have less asthma, diabetes and high blood pressure.
- Babies who breastfeed are less likely to be overweight as adults.
- Moms who choose breastfeeding lose weight more quickly and have fewer problems after delivery with anemia and postpartum depression.
- Breastfeeding decreases breast and ovarian cancer.
- Moms who breastfeed save money and miss less work because their babies are healthier.
Breastfeeding can be one of the best choices for you and your baby. Ascension St. John hospital wants to help you succeed at breastfeeding and are here for you every step of the way.
Ascension St. John Hospital
To get great care for your everyday life, visit Ascension St. John Hospital where you’ll receive compassionate, personalized care.
Make an Appointment