Specializing in Seizure and Epilepsy Care
Ascension Epilepsy Centers in Milwaukee, Racine and Franklin, Wisconsin, provide skilled and compassionate care for children and adults.
Epilepsy Centers in Southeast Wisconsin
If you, your child, or a loved is experiencing seizures, there is hope. Ascension Wisconsin Southeast provides specialized epilepsy and seizure care from neurologists with certified training in epileptic diagnostic testing and treatments.
Our Epilepsy Center locations
- Ascension Wisconsin Columbia-St. Mary’s, 414-585-6763
- Ascension Wisconsin All Saints, 262-687-4011
- Ascension SE Wisconsin Franklin Campus, 414-325-4710
Diagnosing Epileptic Seizures
Seizures affect one in ten people throughout their lifetime but these brain conditions vary. There are more than 40 different types of seizures. Our epilepsy specialists are neurologists with specialized training in all types of brain conditions. At our centers of care in Milwaukee, Franklin and Racine can, we provide family-centered care, so your family has the tools they need to help when seizures strike.
During the exam, your doctor will check hearing, eyesight, and perform muscle tests. Brainwave testing with an EEG (electroencephalogram), brain MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), and other neurological tests are part of a full diagnostic work-up.
Advanced Treatments for Epilepsy
Ascension Wisconsin epilepsy centers are among the best. Our accredited epilepsy centers see families from all over Wisconsin. Our care team offers advanced treatment options including:
- Medications – Managing seizures with novel antiepileptic (anticonvulsant) medications.
- Nutrition counseling – Making dietary adjustments may decrease the frequency of certain seizures.
- Vagus nerve stimulation – This therapy involves a small implanted stimulator device implanted by the left vagus nerve in the neck. The stimulator sends regular, mild electrical stimulations through the nerve to calm down irregular electrical brain activity that may lead to seizures.
- Surgery – Neurosurgery procedures repair brain and nerve disorders and may be recommended.
Patients with Seizures Receive Holistic Care
At Ascension, we heal body, mind and spirit. Individuals with epilepsy are at higher risk for depression. Your care team is led by a neurologist and epileptic specialist and includes:
- Diagnostic radiologists
- Nurses specializing in epilepsy care
- Neuropsychologist focusing on the behavior and functional brain connections
- Nurse practitioners
- Physical and occupational therapists
Our care team explains how support your loved one in a seizure emergency and day-to-day, so that together your loved one has a higher quality of life.
At Ascension, living without seizures is always the goal of our doctors and care team.
“A physician’s job is to help patients return to a seizure-free state with minimal negative effects. Seizure freedom is always my goal because it gives people the highest quality of life.” -- George Morris, MD, FAAN, Ascension Columbia-St. Mary’s, Epilepsy Center.
"I believe every patient deserves the highest quality of care and should be able to find that within their own community. In my office, patients are treated with sincere compassion. I am passionate about the treatment of patients with seizures and epilepsy. My goal for all of my epilepsy patients is for them to live a normal, happy and healthy life." -- Janel Schneider, MD, Ascension SE Wisconsin at Racine and Franklin, WI