Specialized care for complex pregnancies.
About Maternal-Fetal Medicine
Every pregnancy is different. But knowing yours may be high-risk can add stress to an already emotional experience. Ascension’s maternal-fetal medicine doctors are here to provide advanced, knowledgeable and compassionate care for moms-to-be who may require more complex care.
If you have special complications at any point before, during or after your pregnancy, Ascension’s maternal-fetal medicine specialists can work with you to create a personalized care plan that meets your individual needs and your baby’s.
Advanced OB care focused on mom and baby
Maternal-fetal medicine specialists are OB-GYNs who have advanced training in managing high-risk pregnancies. They focus on both moms and babies, and may offer genetic counseling.
You may need to see a maternal-fetal specialist if:
- You have certain health conditions, such as diabetes or kidney disease.
- You develop a health condition during pregnancy, such as high blood pressure (preeclampsia) or diabetes (gestational diabetes).
- You have a history of pregnancy loss or preterm birth.
- You are pregnant with more than one baby.
- Your baby has been diagnosed with a genetic condition.
Ascension’s maternal-fetal medicine specialists have been instrumental in introducing and implementing national protocols for both recognizing and dealing with difficult deliveries.
If your pregnancy requires a maternal-fetal medicine specialist, Ascension’s specially trained doctors will partner with you and your OB care team throughout your pregnancy. The goal of our multidisciplinary care teams is to work toward helping manage your health and the health of your baby.