Experienced kidney transplant program
The renal transplant program at Ascension Saint Thomas brings together an experienced kidney health team, providing the care that is right for you.
Kidney transplant program
The Ascension Saint Thomas Kidney Transplant Center holds a reputation for excellence in kidney transplantation. Our program is the fastest-growing in the state of Tennessee and in the Southeast Region, according to data from the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network. Our fast transplant rates means patients wait less time for a kidney.
Our multidisciplinary team includes transplant surgeons, nephrologists, social workers, registered nurses, dietitians, pharmacists and financial advisors. We’re dedicated to delivering compassionate care for those with End Stage Renal Disease(ESRD) who would benefit from a kidney transplant.
Meet the Team
Kidney Program Outcomes
Per the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients, getting a transplant faster has the largest impact on survival after being placed on the waiting list, as you can see Saint Thomas is well above the expected transplant rate for the state of Tennessee and the USA.
Kidney Transplant Center offers:
- Higher than the national average organ offer acceptance
- Preemptive transplant
- Incompatible blood type transplants
- Living donor kidney transplantation
- Desensitization protocol for living donors
- Combined transplant (heart and kidney)
- Dialysis access
Call to schedule a consultation at 615-222-6618 . Our doctors are now providing virtual (telehealth) visits so that you have more options for care. Call the Transplant Team first to discuss whether a virtual visit is an option for your consultation.
Living Donor Program
Our living donor kidney program finds matches for our patients and provides better outcomes so that they can live a longer, healthier life. Through the evaluation, transplant process and recovery, you and your donor will receive a personalized care plan. If you have a family member or other individual who makes a good match, they may donate one of their kidneys. However if your family member or other individual is not a match for you don’t be discouraged, as we offer a paired donor exchange program through the National Kidney Registry.
Through the evaluation, transplant process and recovery, you and your donor will receive a personalized care plan. Unique benefits of our living donor program include:
- Good outcomes for high-risk patients.
- A thorough evaluation of living donors to determine their candidacy, with a priority of scheduling our living donor pairs for surgery in the shortest amount of time possible.
- Desensitization protocol for living donors.
Are you interested in becoming a living donor? Complete the online form to begin the evaluation process for a living donor transplant.
Double List with Ascension Saint Thomas Kidney Transplant
Individuals already in evaluation with another center, can call us to learn more about how they can also wait-list with Ascension Saint Thomas Kidney Transplant Center. Multiple listings may improve a patient’s chances of getting an organ offer, thereby shortening their wait time for transplant.
The SRTR Patient Decision Tool can help you evaluate other centers to see who it might be beneficial to double list with based on your unique situation.
Call us to learn more about Double Listing with Saint Thomas Kidney Transplant Center.SRTR Patient Decision Tool
For Referring Physicians/Dialysis Centers
Fax us at 615-222-6074
Email address for Referrals- STWKidneyReferrals@ascension.org
Call us at 615-222-6618
For Patients wanting to Self Refer:
How do I start the process for a kidney transplant?
- Contact the Transplant Specialty Center - our transplant navigator will take a brief patient history and submit your information for an evaluation by one of our surgeons. After they approve you to move forward, you are then contacted to set-up an appointment for an Evaluation.
- Evaluation- you will meet with members of the transplant team, learn expectations, criteria and requirements for a successful transplant experience
- Complete medical tests – these tests can include blood work, ultrasound, x-rays, EKG, and other vital screenings that will help determine if transplant is safe for you.
- Selection Committee - After you go through the Evaluation process, your case will be presented to our Selection Committee to see if you are a candidate for transplant.
- Patient placed on the waiting list – if you are eligible for transplant, you will be placed on the waiting list.
- Stay active on the waiting list – over time you will need to repeat many of the tests you had during your evaluation to monitor your health and candidacy for transplant.
- Stay in contact with your transplant coordinator – call your coordinator if anything changes, such as your address, insurance or health situation.
Working with UNOS
The United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) is responsible for transplant organ distribution in the United States and oversees the allocation of many different types of transplants, including liver, kidney, pancreas, heart, lung, and cornea. At Ascension Saint Thomas Kidney Transplant Center, our organ transplant team handles all coordination with UNOS regarding your health history and updating them as your condition changes.