Specializing in valve and structural heart care
Our Ascension Michigan care team consists of interventional cardiologists, cardiac imaging specialists, cardiac surgeons, and others.
Ascension Michigan Structural Heart Care
At five heart centers in central and southeast Michigan, our Ascension heart doctors, and care team provide treatment for patients who have various stages and types of heart valve disease. We specialize in:
- Aortic aneurysm procedures, including endovascular and thoracic repairs (EVAR, TEVAR)
- Aortic, mitral, pulmonary and tricuspid valve care, including minimally invasive transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR), transcatheter mitral valve repair (TMVr) with MitraClip therapy, and other valve repair procedures
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (thickening of the heart muscle)
- Irregular heart rhythm disorders (AFib)
Heart Valve and Structural Heart Services
Heart valve and structural heart services include personalized care plans that are right for you. We specialize in proven medication therapies, minimally invasive heart procedures, and care for complex AFib and heart muscle damage.
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR)
- Mitraclip repairs
- Left atrial appendage occlusion (Watchman)
- Endovascular and thoracic repairs of aortic aneurysms (EVAR, TEVAR)
Why Choose Ascension Michigan
Our doctors are experienced in providing quality, individualized care for a wide variety of heart and vascular needs - from helping you manage your high blood pressure to bringing renewed hope to patients with Atrial Fibrillation, Peripheral Artery Disease, Complex Heart Valve Disease and Pulmonary Embolisms and much more.
At Ascension Michigan, our heart care team provides care close to home. We have structural heart clinics in the Grand Blanc, Greater Detroit, Kalamazoo, and Saginaw areas in Michigan.
- The leader in care: Ascension heart care specialists in Michigan are leaders in structural heart care. Together, Ascension hospitals are the largest provider of Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) in the state. Our doctors are highly experienced and ready to provide you the specific care you need for your individual situation.
- Shorter length of stay in the hospital: The evaluation, diagnosis and treatment of structural heart disease is a highly individualized process for each patient. Although each case varies, in general terms, the average length of stay for minimally invasive valve replacement at Ascension Michigan is approximately two to three days.
- Individualized care: Our Ascension Michigan heart care teams provide a thorough and personalized evaluation to fully understand your situation and deliver the care you need. Our structural heart team consists of highly experienced doctors from several specialties.
Ascension Genesys Hospital - Grand Blanc, Michigan
For any questions about the Ascension Genesys Hospital Structural Heart Clinic, please contact Bethany McAvoy at 810-606-5567, Fax number 810-606-6235, and by email at Bethany.Mcavoy@ascension.org.
- Steven Brooks, DO - Cardiologist
- Karsten Fliegner, MD, PhD - Cardiologist
- Thomas Miller, DO - Cardiologist
- Abdulfatah (Abed) Osman, MD - Interventional Cardiologist
- Sunilkumar Rao, DO - Cardiologist
- Marc Silver, MD - Cardiothoracic Surgeon
- Mark Stuart, DO - Cardiologist
- Frank Tilli, MD - Interventional Cardiologist
- Thomas Vanhecke, MD - Cardiologist
Ascension Providence Hospital - Novi, Michigan
Ascension Providence Hospital - Southfield, Michigan
For any questions about the Ascension Providence Heart Institute Structural Heart Clinic, please call Nicole Zakhem, RN, ACNP, Program Coordinator at 248-849-3583.
- Shukri David, MD, FACC - Interventional Cardiologist Physician Chair, Ascension MI Cardiovascular Service Line
- Wassim Nona, MD, FACC - Interventional Cardiologist Co-Director, Structural Heart Program
- Patrick Alexander, MD, FACC, RPVI - Interventional Cardiologist, Co-Director Structural Heart Program
- Nishit Choksi, MD, FACC - Interventional Cardiology
- Michael Lee, MD, FACS - Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Gary Goodman, MD, FACS - Chief Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Thomas Forbes, MD - Director, Adult Congenital Heart Clinic
- Michael Song, MD - Anesthesiologist
- Peter Lee, MD, AMBS - Anesthesiologist
Ascension St. John Hospital - Detroit, Michigan
For any questions about the Ascension St. John Hospital Structural Heart Clinic please contact: Patrick Troy, Nurse Practitioner and Valve Clinic Coordinator at 313-343-4886 and by email at Patrick.Troy@ascension.org.
- Sanjay Batra, MD, FACS - Chief of Cardiothoracic Surgery; Director of Structural Heart, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Thomas A. LaLonde, MD, FACC, FACP - Chief of Cardiology Interventional and Clinical Cardiology
- Thomas P. Davis, MD, FACC - Interventional and Clinical Cardiology; Director of Structural Heart, Division of Cardiology
- James R. Martin, MD, FACS - Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery; Chief of Cardiothoracic Surgery Ascension Macomb-Oakland
- Gerald I. Cohen, MD, FACC, FASE - Director of Non-Invasive Cardiology, Interventional Echocardiography, and Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Theodore Schreiber, MD - Interventional Cardiology, Internal Medicine, Cardiology; Chief of Cardiology Ascension Macomb-Oakland
- Fouad Azoury, MD - Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Renee Bess, BS, RDCS, RVT, CCRP - Manager, Department of Cardiovascular Research
- Patrick Troy, MS, RN, AGACNP-BC - Minimally Invasive Structural Heart Clinic Coordinator
- Jill Kowalski, RN - Structural Heart Nurse Navigator
Ascension Borgess Hospital - Kalamazoo, Michigan
For any questions about the Ascension Borgess Hospital Structural Heart Clinic, please contact Robin Lovely, Director, Borgess Heart Institute Office at 269-552-0260 and by email at Robin.Lovely@ascension.org.
- Vishal Gupta, MD - Interventional Cardiology
- Frank Saltiel, MD - Interventional Cardiology
- David Martin, MD - Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Jerry Pratt, MD - Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Xiaoke Liu, MD - Cardiac Electrophysiology
- Min Luo, DO - Cardiology
- Ken Tobin, DO - Cardiology
- Michelle Miller, NP - Cardiology
Ascension St. Mary’s Hospital, Saginaw, Michigan
For any questions about the Ascension St. Mary’s Hospital Structural Heart Clinic, please contact Michelle Greig, RN, Structural Heart Nurse Navigator at 989-907-8080 and by email at Michelle.Greig2@ascension.org.
Ascension St. John Hospital
To get great care for your everyday life, visit Ascension St. John Hospital where you’ll receive compassionate, personalized care.
Ascension Genesys Hospital
Ascension Genesys Hospital, Grand Blanc, MI, has a birthing center, ER and provides many types of specialty care.
Ascension Borgess Hospital
Ascension Borgess Hospital in Kalamazoo, Michigan is nationally recognized in numerous specialty services to help fulfill your healthcare needs.
Ascension St. Mary's Hospital
To get great care for your everyday life, please visit Ascension St. Mary’s Hospital to receive compassionate, personalized care.