Advanced care for leaky heart valves
At Ascension Michigan, our heart doctors and cardiac surgeons deliver specialized heart and valve care for you.
Structural Heart and Valve Care in Michigan
For more information, call 866-501-3627, or request an appointment below.
Your heart has four valves that pump blood throughout your body. When a valve, chamber or the wall of the heart is damaged, it's called structural heart disease. Symptoms may include chest pains, shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat, lightheadedness, fatigue, swollen ankles and feet.
Some adults are born with a heart defect that worsens with age. Heart damage can be caused by infections, radiation therapy and inflammatory conditions like lupus or rheumatic fever. Our cardiologists monitor risk factors for heart disease, including high cholesterol and blood pressure to help prevent heart valve damage.
At Ascension Michigan, we provide a range of diagnostic tests, including imaging to pinpoint leaky valves and cardiac ultrasound (echo) to check how well your heart functions. Our doctors and care teams work together to create a personalized treatment plan that’s right for you.
Specialists in structural heart and valve surgery
Heart and valve problems can cause heart attack or progressive heart failure. That’s why our team is ready to deliver emergency care when you need it most. Our network of heart specialists perform cardiac surgeries using minimally invasive techniques when possible. Some of our care includes:
- Endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR)
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (thickening of the heart muscle)
- Irregular heart rhythm disorders (AFib)
- Left atrial appendage occlusion ( Watchman)
- MitralClip (™) for mitral valve repair
- Pulmonary and tricuspid valve care
- Thoracic endovascular aortic repair (TEVAR)
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)
Offering minimally invasive heart valve replacement
We specialize in medication therapy and minimally invasive procedures to treat heart muscle damage. Transcatheter aortic valve replacements (TAVR) may help shorten your recovery time and lower the risk of infection.
The leader in care: Together, Ascension hospitals are the largest provider of Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) in the state. Our doctors are highly experienced and ready to provide you the specific care you need for your individual situation.
Support services for your heart care needs
Our care team is here to support you before, during and after your surgery. We monitor your physical and emotional health and provide cardiac rehab and medication management.
At Ascension Michigan, we treat various stages and types of heart valve disease. We know every person is different. That’s why we listen to you to better understand your health needs. We work with you to provide compassionate heart care, close to home.
Ascension Genesys Hospital Structural Health Clinic
For more information about Ascension Genesys Hospital Structural Health Clinic or to request an appointment, please call Bethany McAvoy at 810-606-5567 or email Bethany.Mcavoy@ascension.org.
- Steven Brooks, DO - Cardiologist
- Karsten Fliegner, MD, PhD - Cardiologist
- Thomas Miller, DO - Cardiologist
- Abdulfatah (Abed) Osman, MD - Interventional Cardiologist
- Sunilkumar Rao, DO - Cardiologist
- Marc Silver, MD - Cardiothoracic Surgeon
- Mark Stuart, DO - Cardiologist
- Frank Tilli, MD - Interventional Cardiologist
- Thomas Vanhecke, MD - Cardiologist
Ascension Providence Heart Institute Structural Health Clinic at Southfield or Novi
For more information about Ascension Providence Heart Institute Structural Health Clinic at Southfield or Novi or to request an appointment, please call Nicole Zakhem, Nurse Practitioner, at 248-849-3583.
- Shukri David, MD, FACC - Interventional Cardiologist Physician Chair, Ascension MI Cardiovascular Service Line
- Wassim Nona, MD, FACC - Interventional Cardiologist Co-Director, Structural Heart Program
- Patrick Alexander, MD, FACC, RPVI - Interventional Cardiologist, Co-Director Structural Heart Program
- Nishit Choksi, MD, FACC - Interventional Cardiology
- Michael Lee, MD, FACS - Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Kristopher George, MD - Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Thomas Forbes, MD - Director, Adult Congenital Heart Clinic
- Michael Song, MD - Anesthesiologist
- Peter Lee, MD, AMBS - Anesthesiologist
Ascension St. John Hospital Structural Heart Clinic
For more information about Ascension St. John Hospital Structural Heart Clinic or to request an appointment, please call Patrick Troy, Nurse Practitioner and Valve Clinic Coordinator at 313-343-4886 or email Patrick.Troy@ascension.org.
- Sanjay Batra, MD, FACS - Chief of Cardiothoracic Surgery; Director of Structural Heart, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Thomas A. LaLonde, MD, FACC, FACP - Chief of Cardiology Interventional and Clinical Cardiology
- Thomas P. Davis, MD, FACC - Interventional and Clinical Cardiology; Director of Structural Heart, Division of Cardiology
- James R. Martin, MD, FACS - Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery; Chief of Cardiothoracic Surgery Ascension Macomb-Oakland
- Gerald I. Cohen, MD, FACC, FASE - Director of Non-Invasive Cardiology, Interventional Echocardiography, and Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Theodore Schreiber, MD - Interventional Cardiology, Internal Medicine, Cardiology; Chief of Cardiology Ascension Macomb-Oakland
- Fouad Azoury, MD - Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Renee Bess, BS, RDCS, RVT, CCRP - Manager, Department of Cardiovascular Research
- Patrick Troy, MS, RN, AGACNP-BC - Minimally Invasive Structural Heart Clinic Coordinator
- Jill Kowalski, RN - Structural Heart Nurse Navigator
Ascension Borgess Structural Heart Clinic
For more information about Ascension Borgess Structural Heart Clinic or to request an appointment, please call Michelle Miller, Nurse Practitioner, Borgess Heart Institute Office at 269-226-5050 or email Michelle.Miller3@ascension.org.
- Vishal Gupta, MD - Interventional Cardiology
- Frank Saltiel, MD - Interventional Cardiology
- David Martin, MD - Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Jerry Pratt, MD - Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Xiaoke Liu, MD - Cardiac Electrophysiology
- Min Luo, DO - Cardiology
- Ken Tobin, DO - Cardiology
- Michelle Miller, NP - Cardiology
Ascension St. Mary's Hospital Structural Heart Clinic
For more information about Ascension St. Mary's Hospital Structural Heart Clinic or to request an appoinment, please call Brandi Horgan, RN, Structural Heart Nurse Navigator at 989-907-8080 or email Brandi.Horgan@ascension.org.
Ascension St. John Hospital
To get great care for your everyday life, visit Ascension St. John Hospital where you’ll receive compassionate, personalized care.
Ascension Genesys Hospital
Our care teams at Ascension Genesys Hospital in Grand Blanc, Michigan, deliver emergency care and specialty care for your needs.
Ascension Borgess Hospital
Our care teams at Ascension Borgess Hospital in Kalamazoo, Michigan, deliver emergency care and specialty care for your needs.
Ascension St. Mary's Hospital
Our care teams at Ascension St. Mary's Hospital in Saginaw, Michigan, deliver emergency care and specialty care for your needs.