Ascension's Heart Scan
Our cardiologists are here to serve you. By understanding your hearts health, we can help create a customized plan to help improve your heart health.
Heart Scan Calcium Scoring
A heart scan is a non-invasive, imaging test. The reason for a heart scan is to help you and our doctor understand your hearts health. In some situations, calcium can build up in your arteries, causing a blockage or restriction of blood flow to you heart.
A heart scan can detect any presence of a calcium buildup. Once this buildup is detected, a “calcium score” is calculated. When combined with your other health information, your calcium score helps to determine your risk of coronary artery disease (CAD).
To get great care for your heart health, call 866-501-3627. This test is not covered by insurance. The out-of-pocket price is $75. *The out-of-pocket price at Ascension Borgess is $99.
Those who may benefit from the heart scan include:
- Men over the age of 40 and women over the age 50.
- Those with a family history of heart attack at an early age.
- Those with high blood pressure, high cholesterol or diabetes.
- If you are a past or present smoker.
Those who should not have the heart scan:
- If you are pregnant
- If you have previously had a heart attack, coronary bypass surgery or a coronary stent
- Men under age 40 and women under age 50 should not have this test because detectable calcium is not likely.
Please note: No contrast dye is used during the screening. The CT scan exposes you to a small amount of radiation.
After your heart scan:
Once you receive a heart scan, our doctors will work closely with you. Together, we will discuss your results, questions and possible treatment plans that are right for your situation. At Ascension, we are committed to providing a comfortable experience for you and your family from your very first visit.
Know Your Risk Factors for heart disease:
- A family history of heart disease
- High blood pressure and abnormal lipids (cholesterol and triglycerides)
- Being overweight
Fortunately, there are steps you can take to reduce your risk of heart disease. Maintaining a healthy diet, daily exercise and understanding pre-existing medical conditions can help decrease your chances of heart disease.
Heart Scan Locations
- Ascension Genesys Hospital
- Ascension Macomb-Oakland Heart and Vascular Services
- Ascension Providence Heart Institute
- Ascension Providence Rochester Hospital
- Ascension St. John Hospital Heart and Vascular Services
- Ascension St. Mary's Hospital
- Ascension St. Mary's Towne Centre
- Ascension St. Joseph Hospital
CT Coronary Calcium Score testing at Ascension Borgess Hospital
By working with you cardiologist or family doctor, you can determine if Calcium Score testing is right for you. Once you have discussed this with your doctor and received their referral, please call 269-342-1099. From here, we will work with you to make an appointment that works around your schedule.