Cardiovascular care teams at Ascension sites of care deliver personalized treatments for atherosclerosis and clogged arteries.
About Cholesterol Health
Preventive heart care
Understanding your cholesterol levels and other risk factors for heart disease is important. Cardiologists and cardiovascular care teams at Ascension sites of care use blood tests to check cholesterol levels, high blood sugar and other risk factors for heart disease. We help you understand how cholesterol and blood glucose can increase plaque buildup in your coronary arteries.
Ask your doctor about preventive heart care and blood tests.
Changes to your diet and lifestyle can help lower your “bad” cholesterol or blood sugar, and control your blood pressure. We start by listening to better understand you and your health concerns. Then, we work with you to create a care plan that’s right for you. Your care plan may include:
- Cardiac rehabilitation and cholesterol monitoring after a heart event
- Cholesterol-lowering medication
- Dietary and lifestyle coaching
- Heart care for individuals with diabetes
- Preventive heart care after a heart event
If you need more advanced care, we use cardiac imaging tests and cardiac catheterization to help detect plaque and open clogged arteries.
Clogged arteries can lead to heart attack or stroke
If you are experiencing a heart or stroke emergency or life-threatening emergency, go directly to the ER or call 911.
Heart attacks don’t always start with severe chest pain. Symptoms of a heart attack may include:
- Chest discomfort, pressure, or pain
- Difficulty breathing
- Lightheadedness or loss of consciousness
- New weakness or fatigue
- Rapid or irregular heartbeat
- Sudden arm (particularly left arm), jaw, neck, back pain
Know your risk for cardiovascular disease
You may be at risk for cardiovascular disease if you:
- Have a family history of a heart event or stroke before the age of 60
- Have high cholesterol
- Have high blood sugar
- Live a sedentary lifestyle
- Smoke or use of nicotine products
Get a second opinion about how to manage your cholesterol
Whether you're dealing with a new diagnosis or deciding on a heart care plan, there's a lot to think about. We can connect you with the cardiologist and care team that’s right for you.
Our doctors are part of an integrated, national network of heart care, sharing best practices and offering evaluation and treatment of the most routine and most advanced heart conditions. Getting the right care at the right time is critical for your health.