Managing symptoms and chronic conditions
The Ascension Lourdes palliative medicine team delivers compassionate care to help manage symptoms and pain due to chronic, complex illness.
Palliative and supportive care at Ascension Lourdes
Palliative care improves the quality of life for patients and families facing serious, progressive illnesses. Palliative care is medical care that affirms life. The focus is relieving the pain, symptoms, and stress that accompany advanced illness. Palliative care is offered with all other appropriate medical treatment. The goal of palliative medicine is to help people live comfortably and to provide the best possible quality of life for patients and families.
How can Palliative care help?
Working closely with your primary physician, we provide:
- Expert treatment of pain and other symptoms
- Guidance with difficult treatment choices
- Emotional and spiritual support for you and your family
- Coordination of care
- Close communication and compassionate care
- Advance Care Planning
What can I expect?
- Relief from distressing symptoms, such as pain, shortness of breath, nausea, loss of appetite, fatigue, constipation, and difficulty sleeping.
- Support with making difficult medical decisions.
- Help achieving the best possible quality of life.
- Guidance for patients and families as they face disease progression and changing goals of care.
- Emotional and spiritual support.
When is the right time for Palliative care?
Palliative medicine helps through all stages of illness. It is best introduced early in your care, even at the time of diagnosis. It is provided along with curative treatments.
Is Palliative Care the same as Hospice care?
No. Hospice care is meant specifically for those approaching the last stages of life, while palliative medicine is appropriate for any stage of a serious illness.
The Palliative Medicine Program at Lourdes is made up of an interdisciplinary team of healthcare professionals who assist the patient and family in addressing the many aspects of care for serious and complex illnesses.
The Palliative Care Team at Lourdes includes:
- The Patient and Family
- The Primary Care Provider
- Physician Specialist in Palliative Medicine
- Registered Nurses
- Massage Therapist
- Medical Social Worker
- Rehabilitation Specialist
If you believe this is a program that you or your loved one could benefit from, please call us at 607-798-5418 for more information.