Ascension Wisconsin Cancer Centers
The cancer care team at Ascension Wisconsin strives to provide the best care for your mind, body and spirit.
Compassionate, Personalized Cancer Care Close to Home
A cancer diagnosis can turn your world upside down. Our cancer centers have multidisciplinary teams providing compassionate and personalized cancer care.
With locations across Wisconsin, you have access to highly knowledgeable and experienced doctors and extensive services. We focus on all aspects of your care so that you can maintain quality of life throughout your cancer care. Our cancer services include:
- Screening and diagnostic testing
- High-risk surveillance
- Personalized care plans
- Access to innovative therapies and clinical trials
Southeast Wisconsin Cancer Centers
- Sherman Cancer Center ‒ Ascension SE Wisconsin Hospital - Elmbrook Campus (Brookfield, WI)
- Reiman Cancer Center ‒ Ascension SE Wisconsin St. Francis (Franklin, WI)
- Polly and Bill Van Dyke Cancer Center ‒ Ascension Columbia St. Mary’s Hospital Ozaukee (Mequon, WI)
- Polly and Bill Van Dyke Cancer Center ‒ Ascension Columbia St. Mary’s Hospital Milwaukee (Milwaukee, WI)
- Ascension All Saints Hospital Cancer Center (Racine, WI)
- Ascension SE Wisconsin Hospital ‒ Mayfair Road Cancer Care (Wauwatosa, WI)
Northeast Wisconsin Cancer Centers
- Ascension NE Wisconsin – St. Elizabeth Campus Cancer Center (Appleton, WI)
- Ascension Calumet Hospital Cancer Care (Chilton, WI)
- Michael D. Wachtel Cancer Center – Ascension NE Wisconsin - Mercy Campus (Oshkosh, WI)
North Central Wisconsin Cancer Centers
- Ascension St. Michael's Hospital Cancer Center (Stevens Point, WI)
- James Beck Cancer Center – Ascension St. Mary's Hospital (Rhinelander, WI)
Our Cancer Care Team
Every member of the Ascension Wisconsin cancer care team is committed to your long-term survivorship care. Our cancer care teams participate in weekly multidisciplinary tumor conferences to discuss your individual case and possible treatment options to help achieve positive outcomes.
- Surgeons use the hidden scar technique and minimally invasive procedures whenever possible.
- Medical Oncologists (Hematologists) apply the best chemo-medication therapies for your cancer diagnosis.
- Radiation Oncologists use advanced radiation therapies to destroy the cancer but not the healthy tissue or organs.
- Diagnostic Radiologists and pathologists use their expertise to identify identity cancer type and stage.
- Palliative Care Specialists focus on relieving symptoms, pain and stress caused by cancer.
- Cancer rehabilitation is available before, during and after cancer treatment to help patients improve daily functioning and quality of life.
- Patient navigators, dietitians, and social workers provide education, address concerns, and advocate for your needs while connecting you with community resources.
- Financial advocates are assigned to manage cancer patients’ benefits and insurance coverage from consultation and beyond so they can focus on their treatment and recovery. In addition, we help find financial resources to offset out of pocket expenses when possible.
Cancer Services Close to Home
We’re always seeking to improve the quality and convenience of our services throughout Wisconsin.
High-risk clinics — At Ascension Wisconsin, we have clinics that specialize in the assessment and care for men and women who are at high-risk for developing lung or breast cancer.
Genetic counseling and testing — Cancer Genetics Counselors assess the likelihood of a hereditary cause for cancer, provide education about surveillance for the individual and their family members, and identify genetic testing opportunities that may benefit the patient and their family members. At Ascension Wisconsin, the referral to these services is coordinated by your surgeon, oncologist, or primary care provider (for those patients who have a family history of cancer or have completed cancer treatments).
Physical therapy after surgery, chemo, or radiation treatments — Throughout Wisconsin we have a network of cancer rehabilitation therapy programs to support your ongoing recovery needs and improve quality of life.
Community outreach — Ascension’s Mission includes bringing healthcare services to the underserved. Mobile mammography and cancer screening tests, health fairs, and community health clinics are in your community.
Clinical trials — Talk to your doctor to see if you are a candidate for a research study. For more information, see Ascension Wisconsin Clinical Research Programs.
Survivorship programs and support groups — A variety of programs are available at many of our locations.
Prevention and Treatment for all Types of Cancer
Our cancer care team provides the highest level of care with compassion and support. Ascension Wisconsin cancer care is at the forefront of early detection screening tests, advanced diagnostic imaging, precision medicine and treatments for all types of cancer, including:
Breast cancer — Dedicated and fellowship-trained breast surgeons and oncology experts work together, so your care is personalized to ensure the best outcomes. In addition to our comprehensive breast care locations, we also have clinics that specialize in the assessment and care for men and women who are high-risk for developing breast cancer.
Lung cancer — Are you at risk for lung cancer? Talk to your Ascension Wisconsin doctor to determine if a low-dose CT lung screening is right for you. If there is suspicion of lung cancer, we have oncology experts across the state reviewing your case to determine the best treatment for you.
Colorectal cancer — Our fellowship-trained specialty surgeons have outstanding outcomes and our team works to provide you care in accordance with the most stringent national quality standards.
Prostate cancer — We offer multidisciplinary tumor conferences where our oncology experts come together to work with you to develop the best plan for your type of cancer.
Gynecologic cancers — Surgeons specialize in outpatient robotic surgery, so you can generally go home the same day. Recovery time is reduced, and you are back on your feet quickly.
Hepatobiliary cancers — A multidisciplinary team of specialists offer several treatment options to precisely remove tumors of the liver, gallbladder and bile ducts.
There are more than 100 types of cancer. The Ascension Wisconsin cancer care team is highly experienced and knowledgeable about this type of disease. Our multidisciplinary approach to care makes the difference.
Advanced Diagnostic Cancer Imaging Close to Home
We offer advanced medical imaging and the expertise of radiologists well-trained in diagnosing pre-cancerous tumors and invasive cancers. With our onsite technology, we can precisely diagnose and monitor even the smallest tumors in less time. Having this level of accuracy close to home improves treatment.
- 3-D mammography (tomosynthesis) and breast ultrasound imaging complements digital mammography when you need more advanced testing.
- Our radiologists work closely with the surgeons to perform biopsies.
Medical Oncology Expertise
We customize medication therapies for each patient’s treatment plan. Our doctors and nurses provide compassionate and personalized care throughout your cancer experience. Utilizing Precision Medicine, also called Personalized Medicine, our doctors create a treatment plan that is tailored to your molecular and genetic makeup. This individualized approach means that all medical decisions, treatments, practices and products are unique to you, instead of applying a one-treatment-fits-all model to your care.
Surgeons Treating the Person, Not Just the Disease
Our surgeons perform many types of procedures to remove cancerous tumors and treat disease surgically. We have surgeons who are trained and certified in oncoplastic surgery for breast cancer. That means while we focus on ridding you of the cancer, we also focus on restoring emotional healing with better cosmetic outcomes.
Our surgeons excel at performing minimally invasive procedures and using the hidden scar technique whenever possible. As one surgeon expressed, “In a perfect world, the patient can’t tell that I even did surgery.”
The surgeons are an integral part of the cancer care team. We spend a lot of time with each patient educating you about your cancer diagnosis and the best surgical treatment approach. It’s a coordinated effort with the radiation oncologist, medical oncologist and all care team members.
Radiation Oncology has High-tech Advantages
Radiation therapy uses high-energy radiation to kill cancer cells. Radiation therapy is often given in combination with surgery or chemotherapy to more successfully destroy cancer. Our highly experienced radiation oncologists offer targeted, precision radiation therapies:
- CT-based treatment planning
- 3D Conformal Radiation Therapy
- External Beam Radiation Therapy
- Brachytherapy - high dose rate (HDR) and low dose rate (LDR)
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) and Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT)
- Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
- Radiosurgery to treat brain tumors
- Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy (SBRT)
Learn more about Ascension Wisconsin cancer care services, including:
- Breast Cancer Surgery
- Colorectal Cancer Screenings and Care
- Hematology Expertise
- Lung Cancer Screenings and Care
- Prostate Cancer Surveillance
Featured Blog Article
Ascension provider, Ali Mahdavid, MD, shares his insight on understanding cancer stages.