GI and Colorectal Cancer Care in Michigan
From prevention and early detection to treatment and support, Ascension Michigan’s GI and colorectal cancer care team is here for you.
Get GI and colorectal care in Michigan
The Ascension Michigan GI and Colorectal Cancer program offers comprehensive cancer care services for gastrointestinal cancers such as colon, rectum, pancreas, biliary, liver, gastric, esophageal and all other GI cancers. Your multispecialty care team starts by listening to you, to better understand you and your health. Then, we work together to deliver personalized care. Our care ranges from prevention and early detection to diagnosis, treatment and survivorship programs.
Of the average 4,700 new GI cases in the state of Michigan each year, Ascension Michigan treats nearly 1,400 of those cases.
Helping detect colorectal cancers early
Personal and family history of colorectal cancer, inflammatory bowel diseases and certain genetic syndromes can increase your risk for colorectal cancer. Other risk factors may include:
- Your age
- Being overweight or obese
- Diets high in red or processed meats
- Heavy use of alcohol
- Physical inactivity
At age 45, men and women should start talking with their doctor about colorectal cancer screenings.
Getting a screening may help detect cancer early. And when cancer is detected early, there may be more options for treatment too. At Ascension Michigan, we offer several types of colorectal cancer screenings. Your doctor can help you decide what screening is right for you.
- Fecal immunochemical test (FIT) checks for hidden blood in the stool from the lower intestines and can be done in the privacy of your own home.
- Cologuard® is done in the privacy of your home. This tests for colon cancer by identifying abnormal DNA and traces of blood in the stool that can be caused by precancerous polyps and colon cancer.
- Colonoscopy is an exam used to detect changes or abnormalities in the colon and rectum using a long, flexible tube (colonoscope) and a tiny video camera.
Ascension Michigan GI and colorectal cancer care team
When you choose Ascension Michigan for your cancer care, you get a multispecialty care team dedicated to your care. We specialize in all types of GI cancers at any stage — no matter what your diagnosis is, we’re here for you. The board-certified, fellowship-trained surgical oncologists, medical oncologists, radiologists, interventional radiologists, radiation oncologists, gastroenterologists, pathologists, nurse practitioners, registered dieticians and nurse navigators collaboratively work together using the most advanced technology.
The importance of tumor board: A dynamic tool that the Ascension Michigan GI and colorectal cancer care teams use in treating cancer is a multidisciplinary tumor board. Through virtual and non virtual tumor boards, patients with complex cancers benefit from multiple expert clinical opinions reviewing their personal case. Our team stretches across the state of Michigan and are here to help support you throughout your journey. The same specialists that make up your care team have access to the details of your case and meet to discuss and provide cancer care perspectives so that you receive the best possible options as you move through your cancer journey.
The cancer specialists listed below are highly engaged members of the Ascension Michigan GI and Colorectal tumor boards in regions throughout the state.
Surgical oncologists and colorectal surgeons
- Dr. Amer Alame, St. Clair Shores
- Dr. Richard Berri, Grosse Pointe Woods
- Dr. Attasit Chokechanachaisakul, Grosse Pointe Woods
- Dr. Amir Damadi, Southfield
- Dr. Ernesto Drelichman, Macomb
- Dr. Alexandria Glenn, St. Clair Shores
- Dr. Michael Jacobs, Southfield, Novi
- Dr. Sachin Patil, Southfield, Novi
- Dr. Amer Zeni, St. Clair Shores, Sterling Heights
Mid & Northern Michigan
- Dr. Mark Mattingly, Flint
- Dr. Omar Marar, Saginaw
- Dr. Wael Sohl, Saginaw
- Dr. Cibar Benitez, Southfield, Novi
- Dr. Adam Biedny, Grosse Pointe Woods
- Dr. Adam Forman, Southfield
- Dr. Tarik Hadid, Warren
- Dr. Hosam Hakim, Grosse Pointe Woods
- Dr. Zyad Kafri, Grosse Pointe Woods
- Dr. Wajahat Khan, Macomb
- Dr. Susan Lyons, Novi
- Dr. Malgorzata Sobilo, Rochester Hills
Mid & Northern Michigan
- Dr. Paul Adams, Flint - Rebecca
- Dr. Amy Calati, Flint
- Dr. Rizwan Danish, Flint
- Dr. Khalil Katato, Flint
- Dr. Roma Srivastava, Saginaw
- Dr. Christopher Szyarto, Flint
- Dr. Asma Taj, Saginaw
- Dr. Muhammad Hameed, Kalamazoo
- Dr. Eyad Abu-Isa, Southfield, Novi
- Dr. Amr Aref, Grosse Pointe Woods, Macomb Township
- Dr. Cynthia Browne, Grosse Pointe
- Dr. June Chan, Novi
- Dr. Paul Chuba, Warren, Rochester Hills
- Dr. Laura Kollar McNew, Southfield
- Dr. Anna Rabbani, Rochester Hills, Warren
- Dr. Maria Vlachaki, Grosse Pointe, Rochester Hills
Mid & Northern Michigan
- Dr. Neal Bhatt, Saginaw
- Dr. Paul Kocheril, Flint
- Dr. Tushar Shah, Flint
- Dr. Daniel Chamberlain, Kalamazoo
- Dr. Brandon Mancini, Kalamazoo
- Dr. Mazen Mislmani, Kalamazoo
- Dr. Jeffrey Radawski, Kalamazoo
Meet our nurse navigators
The Ascension Michigan GI and Colorectal Cancer program will connect you with a nurse navigator to educate you, answer your questions and help guide you and your family through the cancer journey. Your nurse navigator will also be an advocate for you and help you get treatment in a timely manner.
- Joshua Bedell, RN- Grand Blanc
- Nichole Thumme, RN - Saginaw
GI and Colorectal Cancer program services
Through the access of advanced imaging and minimally-invasive surgical technology and techniques, our care teams can provide a more accurate diagnosis and work together with you on a treatment plan that best fits your personal goals. The GI and Colorectal Cancer program throughout Ascension Michigan offers the following treatment and surgical services for complete gastrointestinal cancer care:
- Surgical oncology: Advanced GI and colorectal surgical techniques, including minimally invasive (robotic and laparoscopic) surgery, are used to remove as much cancer as possible while saving healthy tissue.
- Medical oncology: Advanced treatments in chemotherapy, hormone therapy, targeted therapy, and immunotherapy
- Radiation oncology: Advanced radiation therapy is used to target and destroy cancer cells while avoiding the surrounding healthy tissue.
- Gastroenterology: Advanced, minimally-invasive procedures are used to diagnose and treat tumors and lesions in the GI tract (including endoscopic ultrasound).
- Supportive care teams: Social workers are part of our care team to help you through your journey.
- Nutritional counseling: Registered dieticians will work with you to create a comprehensive nutrition plan based on your diagnosis and treatment.
- Clinical trials: Research studies and clinical trials can give you the opportunity to receive advanced treatments. Ascension Michigan oncology specialists have access to hundreds of trials and can help you decide if one is right for you.
Complex cancer care
- Gastric Cancer Care Program: Led by a multidisciplinary team, this program is focused on the care of patients diagnosed with gastrointestinal cancers including those with esophageal, gastric, pancreatic, and liver/hepatobiliary cancers using cutting-edge treatments such as laparoscopic and robotic pancreas and liver, and gastric resections.
- Ascension Michigan’s leading Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC) program is a unique treatment option for those with advanced abdominal cavity cancers such as: colorectal, gastric, ovarian, appendiceal, mesothelioma or any gastrointestinal or gynecologic cancer that has spread to the peritoneum.
- Advanced interventional radiology techniques such as radioembolization, chemoembolization, microwave and radiofrequency ablations which are used in the treatment of complex GI and colorectal cancers.
Find a location near you
Ascension offers cancer care services throughout the state of Michigan.
- Van Elslander Cancer Center, Grosse Pointe Woods
- Webber Cancer Center, Warren
- Ascension Providence Cancer Center, Southfield
- Assarian Cancer Center, Novi
- Ascension St. John Hospital Cancer Care, Macomb
- Ascension St. John Hospital Cancer Center Rochester, Rochester Hills
- Ascension Medical Group Borgess Cancer Center, Kalamazoo
- Ascension St. Mary’s Hospital Seton Cancer Institute, Saginaw
- Ascension St. Mary’s Hospital Seton Cancer Institute, West Branch
- Ascension St. Joseph Hospital Seton Cancer Institute, Tawas
- Ascension Genesys Hurley Cancer Institute, Flint
- Seton Cancer Institute, Marlette