Ascension Mercy Hospital High School and College Student Program
Volunteering can be a rewarding and fulfilling experience that will stay with you throughout your life.
Thank you for your interest in the volunteer program at Ascension Mercy Hospital. Volunteering can be a rewarding and fulfilling experience that will stay with you throughout your life.
Our Student Programs
There are a few things you should consider before filling out your application:
- The minimum age requirement to volunteer is 16 years old.
- Students new to our hospital volunteer program are accepted into the volunteer program year round and must be able to volunteer for at least 6 months including two seasons: Summer/Fall or Winter/Spring. Please note, we do not have a summer only volunteer program.
- Be certain that you are ready to make the minimum commitment to be a volunteer. The preferred assignment is for one 2-4 hour shift each week. The length of the shift depends on the assignment area. Evaluate your current obligations at home, school and work, and discuss this additional time commitment with your parents/employer. Patients and staff will be counting on you! It is important for volunteers to be dependable and to treat their assignments seriously.
- The hospital volunteer program cannot accommodate volunteers who need to accumulate just a few hours of volunteer time toward a school or community-service requirement. A minimum of 50 service hours is required for students to request a recommendation or job reference.
- Volunteers at the hospital are limited to certain areas and responsibilities. Volunteers are expected to be flexible and accepting of different assignments according to the needs and requirements of the patients, staff and Volunteer Services department.
- Bring your energy and enthusiasm. Volunteering offers the opportunity to learn and contribute in a professional, care-giving organization. Your smile and positive attitude will help you get the most out of your volunteer experience.
The Application Process
If you meet the above requirements, please complete the following forms:
- Application - Please providing two personal references with one being a teacher, school counselor, or professor
If applicant is under 18 or requires legal guardianship, the forms below must be reviewed and signed by the parent/guardian.
- Instructions for State of Wisconsin Background Information Disclosure Form
- State of Wisconsin Background Information Disclosure Form
- Volunteer Health Assessment Form
If applicant is under 18 or requires legal guardianship; The Volunteer Agreement Form and Ascension’s Universal Request for Background Check forms must also be reviewed and signed by the parent/guardian. The Background Check form is needed to complete a national background check. Other volunteers will receive a link to complete this form after the interview. Conviction or pending charges may not automatically disqualify an applicant from consideration for a position. The conviction for the crime will be considered as it relates to the volunteer assignment.
Send all completed forms via one of these methods:
Ascension Mercy Hospital
500 S. Oakwood Rd
Oshkosh, WI 54904
After we receive your application, required forms and check your references, you will be contacted by Volunteer Services staff.
The Interview Process
Potential applicants will be contacted for an interview. As a part of the interview process, an appointment with an Associate Health nurse for a health check will be scheduled. This includes:
- A blood draw to test for TB and for immunities to measles, mumps, rubella and varicella (chicken pox)
- A seasonal influenza immunization (flu shot) or approved declination (based on facility)
The final step is to complete orientation and training this includes:
- Ascension orientation
- Volunteer Services orientation
- Assignment specific training
If accepted in the program this on boarding process will take approximately two weeks to complete.
We look forward to receiving your completed volunteer application and required forms. We will evaluate it and contact you as soon as possible.
To apply or get more information on Student Affiliation or Observation Experiences, please visit our Wisconsin Medical Education Job Shadows and Observations page.