Steps to Volunteer
Volunteers help ensure patients receive better care at Ascension.
Please review the following volunteer requirements.
We welcome volunteers from all backgrounds. To ensure our patients’ well-being and help you have the best possible volunteer experience, Ascension requires that all volunteers complete the following forms. If applicant is under 18 or requires legal guardianship, the forms must be reviewed and signed by the parent/guardian.
If applicant is under 18 or requires legal guardianship; The Volunteer Agreement Form and Ascension’s Universal Request for Background Check form must also be reviewed and signed by the parent/guardian. The Background Check form is needed to complete a national background check. Other volunteers will receive a link to complete this form after the interview. Conviction or pending charges may not automatically disqualify an applicant from consideration for a position. The conviction for the crime will be considered as it relates to the volunteer assignment.
After we receive your application, required forms and check your references, you will be contacted by Volunteer Services staff.
What to Expect Next
Interview with Volunteer Services
- Discover your areas of interest and possible assignments
Criminal and Caregiver Background
- A criminal and caregiver background check will be completed.
- Meet with an associate health nurse for a health check
- Drug screening
- A seasonal influenza immunization (flu shot) or approved declination (based on facility)
- A blood draw to test for TB and for immunities to measles, mumps, rubella and varicella (chicken pox)
Complete orientation and training
- Ascension Mercy orientation
- Volunteer Services orientation
- Assignment specific training