Steps to Volunteer
Please review the following volunteer requirements.
There are a few things you should consider before filling out your application:
- The minimum age requirement to volunteer is 16 years old. Volunteers new to our hospital volunteer program are accepted into the volunteer program year round and must be able to volunteer for at least 6 months. We do not offer a summer only student volunteer program.
- Be certain that you are ready to make the minimum commitment to be a volunteer. The preferred assignment is for one 2-4 hour shift each week. The length of the shift depends on the assignment area. Evaluate your current obligations at work, home and school. Patients and associates will be counting on you! It is important for volunteers to be dependable and to treat their assignments seriously.
- The hospital volunteer program cannot accommodate volunteers who need to accumulate just a few hours of volunteer time toward a school or community-service requirement.
- Volunteers at the hospital are limited to certain areas and responsibilities. Volunteers are expected to be flexible and accepting of different assignments according to the needs and requirements of the patients, associates and Volunteer Services department.
- Bring your energy and enthusiasm. Volunteering offers the opportunity to learn and contribute in a professional, care-giving organization. Your smile and positive attitude will help you get the most out of your volunteer experience.
We welcome volunteers from all backgrounds. To ensure our patients’ well-being and help you have the best possible volunteer experience, Ascension requires that all volunteers complete the following forms:
- Ascension St. Elizabeth Hospital Volunteer Application Form
- Wisconsin Background Information Disclosure Form
- Volunteer Health Assssment Form
- Ascension Disclosure Form for Criminal Background check
- Ascension Confidentiality Statement Form
- Parent/Guardian Permission Form (required by students only)
- St. Elizabeth's Hospital Student Profile Form (required by students only)
Send all completed applications and forms via one of these methods. After we receive your application and check your references, you will be contacted.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 920-831-8938
- Mail: Ascension St. Elizabeth Hospital
1506 S. Oneida St
Appleton, WI 54915
What to Expect Next
- Criminal and Health Care Background Checks - A criminal and health care background check will be completed by Volunteer Services.
- Interview with Volunteer Services - Discover your areas of interest and possible assignments
- Meet with an associate health nurse for a health check
- Drug Screening
- A seasonal influenza immunization (flu shot) or approved declination (based on facility)
- A blood draw to test for TB and for immunities to measles, mumps, rubella and varicella (chicken pox)
- Orientation and Training
- Ascension orientation
- Volunteer Services orientation
- Assignment specific training