Ascension’s experienced chaplains recognize all faiths and beliefs, and can support you and your family with the spiritual care you need.
Spiritual Care is a ministry of healing that provides emotional and spiritual support to patients, their families, hospital staff, and volunteers. The Chaplains work as part of the healing team in conjunction with physicians, nurses, and other caregivers. Spiritual Care may include responding to crises, assisting persons in the resolution of ethical questions regarding patient care, contacting pastors, priests, rabbis, or other religious representatives as requested, and providing ongoing spiritual support.
The following are examples of when Spiritual Care should be notified:
- When a patient or family is concerned about impending surgery.
- When a patient or family is fearful, anxious or depressed.
- When a patient wishes to receive Communion, the Sacrament of Reconciliation or the Sacrament of the Sick.
- When a patient or family is having difficulty dealing with the diagnosis, prolonged illness or deterioration of the patient's condition.
- When the patient or family wishes spiritual support.
- When a patient's age or illness raises ethical concerns, such as determination or clarification of code status; use of the respirator; or insertion of a feeding tub.
- When a patient is near death, or has died.
- When miscarriage or stillbirth occurs.
- When Hospital personnel need spiritual guidance.
Spiritual Care and Chaplains at Providence-Providence Park Hospital, Novi
Patients and their families, as well as staff, who need spiritual and emotional support, can turn to the Providence-Providence Park Hospital, Novi Spiritual Care team. The men and women of our Spiritual Care team are a diverse group of professionals - clergy, lay and religious; Catholic, Protestant and Jewish - who complement the diversity of our patients.
Chaplains try to visit all patients at some time during their hospital stay, but it isn't necessary to wait for a routine visit. Patients who feel the need for pastoral support at any time should call the Spiritual Care office at Providence-Providence Park Hospital, Novi at 248-465-4296, or ask their nurse to do so. Spiritual Care services are also available to those who come to the hospital for outpatient care.
Requests and Referrals
Patients and families of all faiths can request a visit with a Chaplain. Any member of the health team can assist with making a referral. People call on chaplains for a number of reasons. A list of Spiritual Care services offered through Providence-Providence Park Hospital, Novi includes:
- Apprehension about surgery
- Overwhelming illness
- Loneliness and isolation
- Discouragement and despair
- Helplessness and hopelessness
- Loss of meaning and purpose
- Fear and anxiety
- Conflict with others
- Facing change and loss
- Struggling with the meaning of life
- Feeling cut off from God
- Grappling with questions about life and death
- Prenatal and Perinatal Loss support
- When a patient is near death, or has died
- Needing the comfort of prayer or spiritual support
- Support for changes in code status
- Decisions regarding a living will and advance directives
- Working through the loss of a loved one
- Facing ethical dilemmas
- Wishing to receive Communion, the Sacrament of Reconciliation, or Sacrament of the Sick
- When there is a miscarriage or stillbirth
- When hospital personnel need pastoral guidance or counsel
- Family members wishing a visit from Spiritual Care and
- Other types of Spiritual Care as needed.
Chapel and Mass Schedule
If you need a quiet, meditative space, or are looking for an opportunity to worship, Providence Park Hospital in Novi has two chapels. The Hospital chapel is located on the first floor of the Hospital just east of the pharmacy. The Clare Murphy Chapel is located on the second floor of the Outpatient Center.
The Chapels are open at all times for your private prayer, meditation, or reflection. Catholic Mass at Providence-Providence Park Hospital, Novi is celebrated Wednesday and Friday at 11:30 a.m. in the Hospital chapel.
Providence-Providence Park Hospital, Novi respects the religious diversity of our patients. We will try to accommodate any requests related to your religious beliefs to make your experience with us as comfortable as possible. Spiritual Care at Providence-Providence Park Hospital, Novi is available Monday - Friday 8 a.m. -12 a.m. (Midnight). Also on holidays and weekends from 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. by calling 248-465-4296.