What Not to Bring: Prohibited Items
Please note that the Brighton Center for Recovery reserves the right to restrict any item even if not listed below that has the potential to pose a threat to the safety of its patients and staff or that may compromise the integrity of the program or the recovery environment.
Prohibited for clinical reasons:
- Alcohol, illegal substances, or drug paraphernalia
- Any product which has alcohol listed as one of the first five ingredients
- Bath salts
- Products containing CBD
- K2 or other such substances
- Any cigarettes, tobacco or nicotine products (including electronic cigarettes and vaping devices)
- Outside food, snacks or beverages of any kind
- Pornography or sexually suggestive material
- Provocative clothing such as short shorts, miniskirts, see-through material, tank tops, or low-cut tops
- Any belongings referencing alcohol, drugs, profanity, violence, nudity or gambling
- Any electronic equipment, including: video games; laptops; iPads; all Kindles, Nooks and other electronic reading devices; radio alarm clocks; radios, iPods, MP3 devices; DVD players.
- Paperwork or homework for business or school and any non-recovery reading materials
- DVDs, movies, music, or tapes
Prohibited for security reasons:
- Weapons, including pocket knives
- Other illegal or stolen items such as pirated movies, DVD’s or other copyrighted materials
- Items of high or sentimental value, such as: jewelry, large amounts of cash (over $50) or credit cards, purses, musical instruments, or sports equipment
Prohibited for medical reasons:
- Diabetic patients cannot bring their own syringes or insulin. These will be supplied through our facility.
- Diabetic patients cannot bring their personal glucometers for use during their stay. Diabetic patients who are being admitted for treatment will utilize a Brighton glucometer. Exceptions requiring medical approval include:
- Glucometers attached to insulin pumps
- Glucometers used by residents of the halfway house
- Fragrances such as after shave, body spray, cologne, perfume
- Aerosol containers
Prohibited for sanitation reasons:
- Blankets, pillows, or sheets brought from home
- Exception is residents admitted to the halfway house will be instructed to obtain these items at the time of their admission to the house.
- Food, candy, or beverages from home
- Pre-packaged food items that would require storage (patient luggage and/or patient rooms cannot be used for food storage, and patient items cannot be stored in hospital refrigerators or food storage cupboards, pantries, etc.)
- Stuffed animals
- Foam mattresses or supports
- Exceptions are patients coming with pre-diagnosed chronic pain issues who have a physician order and our medical staff orders its use.
Prohibited for confidentiality reasons:
- Cell phones
- Any device that connects to the internet, including Smart watches
Prohibited for housekeeping reasons:
- Glass containers (ask families to request a basket or plastic container for flowers)
- Picture frames with glass in them; patients or family must remove the glass form such an item is brought
- Nail polish and nail polish remover
- Any form of glue
Patients should be selective about the items they bring, because all items are brought in at the patient’s full risk. Brighton does not accept any responsibility for lost, stolen, or damaged items that are in the patient’s possession or in the patient’s room.
Patients who have a valuable item may have this item locked in the facility’s safe, where it will be stored until it is either sent home with family or returned to the patient upon the discharge. Patients will not be able to retrieve items from the safe under any other conditions.
The Serenity Gift Shop is available to patients where you can purchase many assorted items throughout your stay. Please be advised that accounts can be created using credit, debit or cash. Please note that upon completion of the program, account refunds will be made to a credit or debit card only.