At the Ascension Via Christi Cancer Center in Pittsburg, we combine advanced technology and compassion to provide hope for those facing cancer.
At the Via Christi Cancer Center in Pittsburg, advanced technology and compassion are combined to offer hope for cancer patients and their families. Our facility offers state-of-the-art cancer detection and treatment services including sophisticated radiation therapy equipment, chemotherapy, and cancer specialists and support staff.
The center brings together all the resources a cancer patient and his or her family will need to fight this disease in the most positive, supportive environment possible. Patients do not need to travel great distances to receive the most advanced treatment available.
In addition to cancer care, other services needed and desired by cancer patients and their families are available including nutritional counseling, spiritual and emotional support, and patient and family education.
Our expert team of staff and physicians blend care and compassion while working closely with the patients and families who are affected by the disease of cancer. At the Ascension Via Christi Cancer Center, the newest technology will never take the place of the oldest truth -- caring goes a long way toward curing.
The Ascension Via Christi Cancer Center offers a number of diagnostic procedures to assist physicians in the diagnosis and treatment of Cancer.
- CT - Ascension Via Christi Hospital at 1 Mt Carmel Way in Pittsburg is home to the area's first 128-slice CT (Computerized Tomography) machine.
- Mammography - Ascension Via Christi's Women's Imaging Center offers 3D mammography, one of the most advanced technologies in breast cancer detection today.
- MRI - Ascension Via Christi Hospital in Pittsburg's MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) is a painless, non-surgical procedure with no known side effects.
- Nuclear Medicine - Nuclear Medicine at Ascension Via Christi Hospital in Pittsburg uses radioactive substances, sometimes called radiopharmaceuticals or tracers, to create images of the internal organs.
- PET/CT - Ascension Via Christi Hospital at 1 Mt Carmel Way, in cooperation with DMS Imaging, is pleased to offer PET(Positron Emission Tomography)
- SPECT Scan - A SPECT Scan (Single Photon Emission Computed Tomography) is a three dimensional imaging technique used in conjunction with a number of Nuclear Medicine studies.
- Stereotactic Breast Biopsy -Stereotactic Breast Biopsy, is a less invasive, non-surgical outpatient procedure which can determine if an abnormality is cancerous.
Our dedicated oncology pharmacist is located within the Cancer Center to prepare each patients customized drug regimen. The pharmacist is also available for personal consultation with patients concerning their treatment. Treatments are given by registered nurses (who are certified in chemotherapy administration), led by the medical oncologist. Chemotherapy can be used combination with radiation therapy, surgery, or as a definitive treatment alone.
Inside our main chemotherapy area, large windows and skylights pour sunshine into the room. Patients sit in comfortable recliners and can visit among themselves or watch television while receiving intravenous medications. Each therapy station features its own television set with earphones for the patient. In addition to conventional television channels, a special channel is available to educate patients about their disease while they are being treated. Private chemotherapy suites are also available for those wishing to lie down and rest in a quieter atmosphere.
Patients of the Ascension Via Christi Hospital in Pittsburg have access to the finest radiation therapy equipment available. At the heart of the center is a $1.4 million Linear Accelerator, a treatment device that accurately targets cancerous tumors. Additional improvements totaling $1.5 million will add IMRT (Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy) to the Cancer Center. IMRT ensures that radiation therapy is delivered in the most precise method possible today. Other treatments include 3-D treatments, prostate brachytherapy seed implant and other radioactive seed implants.
Treatments are given by our highly-qualified staff of professionals, led by the radiation oncologist. Our team members are committed to providing quality care, and they are dedicated to making each patient feel at ease. Comfortable surroundings and familiar faces are another essential part of the personalized care we insist on at the Ascension Via Christi Hospital in Pittsburg.