Pediatric Emergency Department
The Studer Family Children’s Hospital is staffed 24 hours a day with team members who are specially trained in caring for children.
Emergencies can strike at any hour. Fortunately, The Studer Family Children's Hospital at Ascension Sacred Heart is staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week with team members who are specially trained in caring for children, using equipment that is specially designed for a child's smaller anatomy.
Why Choose the Children’s Hospital
When it comes to your child's health, don't settle for less than the best. True pediatric emergency care is more than a colorful room with kid-friendly artwork and toys. Our Pediatric Emergency Room is backed by The Studer Family Children's Hospital at Ascension Sacred Heart, the only children's hospital in Northwest Florida, and offers:
- Pediatric emergency medicine physicians
- Equipment sized just for infants and children
- Doctors, practitioners, nurses and support staff who are dedicated to and work only with children
- Pediatric pharmacy, with pharmacists and staff specially trained in preparing medications for children
- Onsite fellowship-trained specialists in pediatric radiology and pediatric anesthesia
- Dedicated Neonatal/Pediatric Transport Team
- Access to more than 120 board-certified physicians across 30 pediatric specialties, including:
- Cancer Care
- Critical Care
- Ear, Nose & Throat (ENT)
- Endocrinology & Diabetes Care
- General & Thoracic Surgery
Designed Just For Kids
Taking your child to the emergency room is stressful, so we've gone to great lengths to make our facilities as child-friendly as possible, with a separate waiting area just for kids and their parents and 20 private, brightly decorated rooms to help your child feel as calm and comfortable as possible.
Because children's medical needs are vastly different from those of adults, we offer advanced equipment especially designed for diagnosing and treating medical emergencies in kids, from infants as small as 6 pounds to adolescents up to 18 years of age. To minimize your wait time, lab tests and X-rays are offered inside the Pediatric Emergency Department.
Equipped to handle a wide range of medical problems, our team is made up of surgeons, doctors, nurses, social workers and rehabilitation therapists who have specialized training and expertise in caring for children. Patients requiring additional care beyond the Emergency Room can be admitted to The Children's Hospital, just upstairs. Our medical staff includes doctors trained across 30 pediatric sub-specialties.
Regional Neonatal & Pediatric Transport Services
As Northwest Florida's only pediatric trauma referral center, Ascension Sacred Heart offers medical transportation services – including both ground and air transportation – to bring prematurely born, critically ill and injured babies and children to The Children's Hospital. Learn more.
What to Bring With You
To make your trip to the Pediatric Emergency Room as quick and stress-free as possible, parents are asked to bring the following items:
- Your child's immunization history
- Your pediatrician's phone number
- Information about any conditions or chronic illnesses your child may have
- (If available) X-rays or lab test results from other hospitals or clinics relating to your child's current illness