The Wound Care Center at Ascension Sacred Heart Bay in Panama City, Florida provides advanced wound care therapy to promote healing.
The Wound Care Center at Ascension Sacred Heart Bay provides personalized, compassionate treatment on your road to recovery.
Our specially trained team has experience in treating chronic wounds and wounds that have not significantly improved from conventional treatments. Wounds that don't heal properly may lead to inadequate circulation, immobility, poorly functioning veins, lower quality of life and the need for amputation.
Our team uses treatments designed specifically for each type of wound. We follow the latest approaches to wound healing and remain current in new scientific advances in wound care.
Conditions we treat
Wound care services are available to patients who have been diagnosed with conditions such as:
- Diabetic foot ulcers
- Lower leg ulcers
- Pressure ulcers
- Bone infections
- Radiation burns
- Skin tears or lacerations
- Post-operative infected wounds
- Slow- or non-healing wounds
- Wounds from brown recluse spider bites
- Failing or compromised skin/muscle grafts or flaps
- Wounds over 30 days old failing multiple treatments/therapies
Treatments and care team
The specially trained team at the Wound Care Center provides services including debridement, dressing selection, special shoes and patient education.
Our care team consists of:
- Doctors with advanced training in wound management
- Nursing staff trained in the care of chronic wounds
- Technicians who perform non-invasive studies and various therapies
- Experienced staff to assist with appointments, medical records and health insurance processing
As part of Ascension Sacred Heart Bay, our interdisciplinary model of care includes infectious-disease management, physical therapy, occupational therapy, laboratory evaluation, nutritional management, pain management, diabetes education and other specialties to comprehensively address patient health.
Treatment from the Wound Care Center is designed to complement services from your primary care doctor.
Please note - due to damage to our campus from Hurricane Michael, hyperbaric medicine is not currently available. We hope to resume this service soon.
Working together optimizes healing
The Wound Care Center at Ascension Sacred Heart Bay operates in collaboration with Healogics, the nation's largest provider of advanced wound care services. Healogics and its affiliates manage a network of locations throughout the United States and the United Kingdom.
What to expect at the Wound Care Center
Patients are typically referred to the Wound Care Center by a primary care doctor and are seen by appointment only. Before starting treatment, patients undergo a thorough exam to identify the type of wound you have and the underlying problems causing the wound. In your initial appointment, our team will review your overall health status and any factors that may limit your participation in therapy.
A customized treatment plan will be developed to best address your needs. Wound size and depth will be documented at your first visit and again at each subsequent visit. Some of the diagnostic tools used may include:
- Lab tests
- Imaging, including MRI
- Transcutaneous oxygen testing
- Vascular studies, such as electrocardiogram
Treatment is performed on an outpatient basis. Patients are free to drive themselves to the Wound Care Center for therapy. Please plan on 2.5-3 hours for your first visit and 1 hour for follow-up visits.
Once treatment begins, you will visit the Wound Care Center on a regular basis for specialized treatments and review of your healing progress. Our team will instruct you on how to care for your wound at home between visits and how to protect your wound from further injury.
A few notes regarding wound care treatment:
- You should refrain from smoking or using any tobacco products during the entire course of therapy. Tobacco use will prolong or even prevent healing of a wound site due to its effect on the blood vessels in your body.
- If you have a cold, cough, flu symptoms, sore throat, chills, nausea, vomiting or diarrhea, inform our staff before a treatment session.
- Alert the staff to any medications you are taking or changes in medication during the course of your treatment.
- If you are diabetic, please eat properly and continue to take your prescribed medication to control your blood sugar level. Your blood sugar level will be checked during each visit to the Wound Care Center.
- You are the most important part of your healing process. Keeping appointments and following directions are critical steps on your recovery journey.
We look forward to serving you. Please call our office with any questions.