The Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) course conveys an evidence-based approach to care of the newborn at birth and facilitates effective team-based care for healthcare professionals who care for newborns at the time of delivery. NRP utilizes a blended learning approach, which includes online testing, online case-based simulation/debriefing that focuses on critical leadership, communication and team-work skills.
The NRP Provider Course introduces the concepts and basic skills of neonatal resuscitation. It is designed for healthcare professionals involved in any aspect of neonatal resuscitation, including physicians, nurses, advanced practice nurses, nurse midwives, licensed midwives, respiratory care practitioners, and other healthcare professionals who provide direct care during neonatal resuscitation.
Steps to achieve provider status
Complete provider curriculum - Parts 1 and 2
Part 1 focuses on building a foundation of neonatal resuscitation knowledge.
The learning activities in Part 1 include:
- Self-study the Textbook of Neonatal Resuscitation, 7th ed. - book accessible in the online portion of the course
- Provider exam. Section 1: Lessons 1-5 (25 questions) and Section 2: Lessons 6-11 (25 questions) - You have unlimited attempts to complete sections 1 and 2 of the exam.
- eSim cases
- Provider exam and eSim evaluation
Part 2 includes the instructor-led even (hands-on portion of the course)
Register for an instructor-led event, which includes:
Performance and integrated skills
- The Performance Skills Station provides an opportunity to practice or review technical hands-on resuscitation skills with instructor assistance. The Integrated Skills Station allows the instructor to facilitate more than one scenario and evaluate the learner's readiness for simulation and debriefing.
- Simulation and debriefing Simulation and debriefing provides a safe setting in which to integrate cognitive and technical skills, and focus on team communication and patient safety. The instructor will not coach, assist, or interrupt during a scenario.
Complete the instructor-led event evaluation
Once you complete all steps, the instructor will approve your skills and you will be required to complete a course evaluation. Be sure to complete the evaluation in a timely manner to ensure an accurate expiration date on your provider eCard. You will then have access to your NRP Provider eCard on the Resuscitation Cards page under your profile.
Course director - Lindsay Henry, RN
Continued education is provided through the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) based on completion of online lessons.
Disclaimer: NRP is not a "certification" of competency and does not authorize learners to perform skills during resuscitation of actual newborns. While all learners may practice all of the skills, including intubation and umbilical line placemen, completion of the program does not imply that an individual has the competence or qualifications to assume clinical responsibility for these procedures.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, please advise Ascension Via Christi Clinical Professional Development Department if you have any disability that requires special materials and/or services so that arrangements can be made.
Other Dates and Times
October 13, 2020
A refund will be given if a cancellation request is received at least 1 week prior to the start of the class/program. A full refund will be given for any class cancelled by the site.
Please call Clinical Professional Development at 785-587-5413 with any questions.