Rotations, Commitment & Benefits
Ascension Borgess’ PGY-1 residency program provides experiences in both hospital-based pharmacy and ambulatory care.
Residents will complete their required rotations at Ascension Borgess Hospital, a 422-bed community, teaching hospital and participate on traditional hospital-based rotations. Each required and elective rotation lasts approximately four weeks. Longitudinal rotations typically extend the duration of the residency experience.
- ID Lecture Block
- Internal Medicine
- Ambulatory Care
- Critical Care
- Emergency Medicine/Trauma
- Code Blue
- Heart Failure Clinic
- Medication Use Process
- Practice Development and Leadership
- Project Management
- Stroke Response Team
- Teaching and Education
- Ambulatory Care 2
- Antimicrobial Stewardship
- Critical Care 2
- Emergency Department
- Floor-Based Pharmacy
- Heart Failure Clinic
- Infectious Diseases
- Internal Medicine 2/Oncology
Palliative Care/Pain Management
*Residents are permitted to complete a one-month elective at a non-Ascension Borgess institution, if the experience can be arranged. Required rotations can also be repeated as electives, as long as the emphasis changes.
Service Commitment (Staffing)
- Staffing is a required component of all ASHP-accredited PGY-1 residency programs. While working in this capacity, our residents focus on the operational and distributive aspects of pharmacy, such as order verification. Once they have demonstrated proficiency in these areas, the residents also assist with targeted medication monitoring and intervention through use of continuous surveillance software, as part of their service commitment experience.
- The residents are expected to staff in the inpatient pharmacy every 3rd weekend. This experience will begin at the start of the residency year and end when residency concludes. Each resident will work a minimum of 15 weekends. In addition, each resident is also required to staff three holidays during their residency year, one being Thanksgiving or Christmas Day.
- Ascension Borgess currently offers an annual stipend of $48,430.
As part of their compensation package, the residents are entitled to the following benefits after 90 days of employment:
- Paid time off
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Flexible spending accounts
- Short and long term disability
- Life insurance
- BCLS & ACLS certification
- Fitness center discount
- Travel allowance** for ASHP Midyear Meeting
- Travel allowance** for Great Lakes Pharmacy Residency Conference
**Covers: hotel expense, transportation expenses, & food allowance during conferences.